Backing is one of the most difficult maneuvers a professional driver performs. Successfully backing a tractor-trailer requires skill, practice, patience, and good judgment. Improper or inattentive backing can result in lost time, lost wages, additional paperwork, damage to trailers, buildings or other equipment, and even personal injury.
This course is designed to focus on the basics of backing including safe backing and the types of backing maneuvers commonly used.
This unit must teach driver-trainees to back and dock the combination vehicle safely. This unit must cover ‚àö√≠Get Out and Look‚àö√¨ (GOAL), evaluation of backing/loading facilities, knowledge of backing set ups, as well as instruction in how to back with the use of spotters.
This online Entry-Level Driver Training Module 6: Backing & Docking course covers the following topics:
- Backing Dangers
- General Backing Guidelines
- Steering Principles
- Sight Side & Blind Side Backing
- Basic Backing Maneuvers
- Loading Docks & Parking Lots
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Recognize the steering principles required for successfully backing a tractor-trailer
- Recall general guidelines to stay safe while backing a tractor-trailer
- Describe the appropriate backing maneuver to use based on the situation
- Explain additional precautions to take when backing in parking lots and loading dock areas