This unit must teach driver-trainees about the specific problems presented by extreme driving conditions. The training provided will emphasize the factors affecting the operation of CMVs in cold, hot, and inclement weather and on steep grades and sharp curves. The training provider must teach proper tire chaining procedures.
Extreme driving conditions demand increased preparation and awareness. Both learners and their vehicles must be in top form. This course is designed to introduce learners to the challenges of operating a tractor-trailer in extreme driving conditions.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Identify common ways to prepare for driving in adverse weather conditions
- Describe when tire chains are appropriate and proper tire chaining procedures
- Discuss how to safely operate a vehicle in snow, ice, wind, rain, and fog
- Explain ways to stay safe in extreme heat or cold temperatures
- Recognize the challenges of driving on steep grades and around sharp curves