A "special rig" is any combination vehicle that differs from the standard tractor and dry freight trailer with five axles and up to 18 wheels.
This course is designed to describe the most common special rigs, their handling characteristics, and some of the special skills required to operate them.
After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the various types of multiple articulation vehicles and the unique hazards each present
- Recognize the characteristics that constitute an oversize vehicle
- Discuss how to safely operate high center of gravity vehicles
- Identify what type of loads are naturally unstable while driving and how to minimize instability
- Explain what makes a special cargo vehicle different than a standard tractor-trailer
- Discuss hazards associated with construction vehicles and how to stay safe