High-impact multi-course training covering the essentials of emergency response operations (HAZWOPER) at an awareness level. If awareness-level responders know how to recognize the presence of a hazardous substance in a release situation and how to quickly identify that substance, they will jump-start the subsequent efforts of the HAZMAT team. This helps to avoid panic, prevent casualties, and minimize damage.
This online HAZWOPER: Hazardous Substance Recognition & Identification course is designed to to teach learners the methods and resources available to help recognize and identify hazardous substances, the use of the Emergency Response Guidebook (or ERG), and in an emergency, the threats of hazardous substances, methods of assessing risk, and the importance of initial decision-making.
After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- List methods used to help recognize hazardous substances
- List methods used to help identify hazardous substances
- Describe the ERG and explain how to use it
- Have an awareness of the threats and risks posed by hazardous substances in emergencies
- Discuss several potential outcomes associated with emergencies involving hazardous substances
- Discuss basic hazard and risk assessment
- Discuss decisions which can be made based on information gathered in the recognition, identification, and assessment process