Think about the last time you heard news about an information security breach. Chances are that you heard about company embarrassment, outraged consumers and even legal actions and fines. No one wants private information released to people who could misuse or abuse it! That is why the government enacted the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPAA. This course will provide you with important information about what HIPAA is, how it applies to your job and what happens when there is an information breach. The course is intended for general industry employees.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain what HIPAA and PHI are
- Recognize why HIPAA is important to patients, employers and employees
- Recall how HIPAA applies to most general industry jobs
- Recognize a PHI security breach
- Recall what to do in case of an information breach